Report on the Survey and Excavation Campaigns of 1996 and 1997
L. Loots and Marc Waelkens
(including 6% VAT)
Edited volume - paperback
Sagalassos, once the metropolis of the Western Taurus range (Pisidia, Turkey), was only thoroughly surveyed in 1884 and 1885 by an Austrian team directed by K. Lanckoronski. In 1986-1989 this work was resumed by a British-belgian team co-directed by Dr. Stephen Mitchell (University College of Swansea) and by Prof. Dr. Marc Waelkens (Catholic University of Leuven). In 1990 Sagalassos became a full scale Belgian project and a leading centre for interdisciplinary archaeological and archaeometrical research.
Due to its altitude, the site is one of the best preserved towns from classical antiquity, with a rich architectural and sculptural tradtion dating from the second century BC to the sixth century AD. From early Imperial times untiel the early Byzantine period a complete range of coarse and red slip wares was produced locally. Excavations are concentrated on qthe upper and lower agoras to document the plitical and commercial life in the town and also in the area where a late Hellenistic fountain house, which stll functions to date, and a Roman library were discovered. Major efforts are undertaken to restore the excavated monuments in their old glory. Several disciplines integrate the town again within its ancient environment and document the central role which Sagalassos played in the area.
Format: Edited volume - paperback
Size: 275 × 210 mm
Publication: November 21, 2000
Series: Sagalassos 11
Stock item number: 46174
Marc Waelkens is Professor of Eastern Mediterranean Archaeology and director of the Sagalassos Archaeological Research Project and the Centre for Archaeological Sciences at KU Leuven.